Thursday, June 24, 2010

Its sauna (sow+nah) time

Sorry, no naked pictures!

So the mystery of the sauna time has been solved. my first encounter with the idea of sauna and the importance of it to the finnish culture stemmed from taking a shower and noticing a small ´memo´on the wall beside the light. it was a picture of santa (cartoon santa, of course) and he was running with a towel barely covering his "knochel-raisins". anyways, the memo wanted to inform me of the importance of remembering to bring a towel to the sauna (which is located on the top floor and is open between the
hours of 5-8). So if santa uses the sauna, i think it is only appropriate to use the sauna as well.

I like to think i had a legit sauna experience. If i was Jessica Simpson, and i was thinking of an episode for Price of Beauty (i know only like 15 ppl in the U.S. watch that show, but hey-thats what u get for summer tv) I would go to sauna in Rovaniemi.
We (as in 30 Finnish and American students) rented a sauna cottage for 4 hours. it was 300€ but it was a helluva relaxing experience.

This was to be the order of operations:
1. shower
2. sit in sauna til u can barely keep your head up
3. shower
4. dip in the river (the Kemijoki river)
5. shower
6. sit in sauna until your bones are finally warmed from dipping in the river
7. shower
8. dip in the river
(repeat as necessary)

I know that in the States it is like 80-90 degrees and this sounds like no big deal, but here in Rovaniemi where it is 5 miles from the artic circle, it is a bit brisk at times. So, the idea of dipping into a river kinda makes me feel like a bad ass. And to all the Buckeyes out there... I felt like i was well prepared to dip into frigid water thanks to our Mirror Lake adventures during Michigan Week.

Overall, the experience of the sauna was liberating, and it helped to clear my sinuses. My skin felt softer and I was very, very relaxed. Naked or not, I can see how this ritual can become a part of a weekly routine. I was very pleased that I restrained my desire to have a beer or two while enjoying the sauna, but I am pretty sure I would have thrown up due to dehydration. I mean if I am literally sweating so much that I am convinced that jumping into a river is the only way to cool myself off, I can only imagine what non-sober Sara may think is a good idea. I am glad i stuck to water.

Fierce & Reindeer,
Sara Christmas

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of you! A sober SaraSunshine in the sauna!

    ReplyDelete